Skip to main content

INTRODUCING DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES - CSER Task 1: Possibilities with Digital Technologies

Task: Option 2. Find an example of digital technology being used to solve a problem or an innovative digital technology. This could be a news article, a website, an image, a video or some other content. Share what you have found with a brief description in the community as to why you think this is interesting




The world's first pocket sized gluten sensor

Being coeliac, I think this little digital technology is a winner. This is so innovative and would save much angst and sickness for myself and my daughter. 

A sample is dropped into the device, and if there is any trace of gluten, a frowning face lights up; if not, then a smiley face. 

Something so small that fits into your bag, would give you the confidence to quickly analyse what you are eating when dining out. 

Sources:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIGITAL SYSTEMS: CSER task 5 - Information Systems

Option 1: Think of a lesson idea for "sharing information online safely" or "behaving online appropriately". Write your idea as a brief description with any links to websites, videos or books that you might use in your lesson. Digital Citizenship has to be a key area of focus in the modern classroom with the access to online digital devices that all students have today. The transference of behaving appropriately in class and the playground must now apply to behaving appropriately online. Two key concepts I reiterate in my class are: one, if you would not say it to someone's face then don't type it online; and two, don't be a bystander. This last concept my students are most familiar with. What students require today, is ways of being responsible when inappropriate situations occur.  I am a big fan of Common Sense Education.   Here you will find a vast array of resources for teaching in the digital age. One lesson idea I have used to reinforce appr...

Final Reflection

This Web 2.0 course has solidified my understandings and introduced me to some great new tools for the classroom. Web 2.0 has taken hold for educators and is having a significant impact on learning for the 21st century. Overall it can be said that the creation of collaborative learning spaces is huge. What is essential, and something this course most definitely provides, is the necessary and appropriate teacher preparation for the pedagogical impact of using Web 2.0 tools in the classroom. It is imperative that teachers feel comfortable and ready to adopt the educational benefits of Web 2.0 E-learning with the iLE@RN pedagogical model can combine to provide the necessary student learning, teacher designed curriculum and creative lesson planning. You cannot just launch students into this style of learning. Skills need to be addressed that incorporate communication, collaboration, questioning, reflection, critical thinking etc so that learning is at its optimum. I am a big supporter ...

Module 1: Web 2.0 and personalising your Web space

Introduction: please visit my first blog post "Teacher Confession". Activity 1: getting an overview of Web 2.0 Through YouTube: Watching YouTube clips – the future is so exciting, I like to view it as a Cultural Revolution – in how information is created and shared – not just digital opportunism. The possibilities are endless.  Its about how people are using the web, its a move away from static to dynamic through, for example, the use of applications.  A network based on interaction and communication, everything is connected and cannot be viewed in isolation. Through web sites and eLearning tools: I am please to see I already use so many of the suggested learning tools. For example, I store all my work and study in Dropbox and I find Edmodo to be an invaluable tool for learning in the classroom.